Quick Facts About Max
- Born and raised in Manistee, Michigan, until he left for the U.S. Air Force Academy.
- Max’s parents served in World War II. His dad was a paratrooper and a signal corpsman. His mom was a medical technician in the Women’s Army Air Corps.
- Max and his wife Nancy, of 33 years, have three adult children: Maira, a mechanical engineer in Troy, NY; John, a U.S. Air Force Captain and KC-135 pilot assigned to the UK; and Alex, lives and works on a farm in Candor, NY.
- Max and Nancy moved 10 times during his career. They have lived in New York since 1999, and moved to Owego to work for Lockheed Martin, in 2008.
- US Air Force Academy, BS—Economics; Dean’s List
- Marquette University Law School, JD—Law; cum laude
- Industrial College of the Armed Services, MS—National Resource Strategy, Distinguished Graduate.
- Tompkins Cortland Community College, Culinary Arts and Hotel Restaurant Management; President’s citation
- Max flew all over the world, first as C-130 tactical airlift pilot, instructor and flight examiner and eventually pilot and commander of the “Ski Birds,” LC-130 aircraft, throughout Antarctica and to the South Pole for over six years.
- Max held a Top Secret, security clearance while working for the Air Force in several capacities, serving in the first Gulf War (Desert Shield), Haiti (Restore Democracy), and in Afghanistan, and while working for Lockheed Martin, in Business Development.
- Max was assigned to the U.S. Senate, Washington, DC for 18 months as Special Advisor to the Commander of the Air Force Reserve Command (12 months, as a Brookings Fellow on the personal staff of the Ranking Minority Member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, and six months as an Air Force Senate Liaison Officer working for the Secretary of the Air Force and the Chief of Staff of the Air Force.
- While attending graduate school at the National Defense University, Max studied US/China relations, and was selected to travel to China as part of a diplomatic, military-to-military exchange between the U.S. and China.
- Della Pia Glacier was named after Max for his support of the United States Antarctic Program.
- Max enjoys volunteering with the Rotary, Meals on Wheels, the Tioga County Anti-Hunger Task Force, and the National Ski Patrol at Greek Peak Ski Resort.
- On April, 2016, Leo came to visit, until Max could bring him to his son’s family in the UK. We think Leo is half Lab and half Great Dane, so shipping him to the UK turned out to be about as expensive as shipping a horse. So, Leo is now a permanent resident of the NY 23rd.
Please note any pictures of uniformed military personnel past or present does not indicate an endorsement of the Department of Defense.
Paid for and authorized by the Max Della Pia for Congress Committee.